How do I obtain service on a small claims Summons and Complaint?

All Summons and Complaints must be personally served on each named defendant. After filing the Summons and Complaint, it is the plaintiff's responsibility to arrange for personal service, pay the service fees, and file the Proof of Service prior to or on the court date. See the Walworth County Sheriff's Office page for further information regarding their civil process procedures and fees. If the defendant lives outside of Walworth County, the plaintiff is responsible for getting the papers to the Sheriff in the county where the defendant resides and pay their service fees. Plaintiff may also employ the services of a private process server; costs vary.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a small claims action?
2. Where do I get forms to file a Small Claims Action?
3. What information must I have to file a Small Claims Action? What happens on the day I come in to start my case?
4. How do I obtain service on a small claims Summons and Complaint?
5. How far in advance of my court date must the defendant be served?
6. What happens if the defendant cannot be personally served?
7. What judge will hear my case?
8. Must the defendant appear for the court date?
9. What happens if the plaintiff doesn't appear on the court date?
10. What will happen at court?
11. How do I get a trial before the Circuit Court Judge?
12. What must be included in the "Demand for Trial" form?
13. I have a tenant I want to evict. How do I do this?
14. What is a judgment?
15. How do I obtain a judgment in small claims?
16. How do I enforce a judgment?