How do I file a small claims action?

What is it you are suing for? Small claims can be used for the following:

  • Eviction actions, regardless of the amount claims.
  • Replevin actions (return of property) where the value of the property claimed does not exceed $10,000.
  • Other civil actions where the amount claimed is $10,000 or less (such as unreturned security deposits, unpaid bills, loans and damage to property).
  • Garnishments to enforce judgments from funds owed to the debtor when the amount owed is $10,000 or less.
  • Actions for the return of earnest money tendered pursuant to a contract for purchase of real property, regardless of the amount claimed.
  • The small claims limit remains at $5,000 for personal injury and third-party complaints.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a small claims action?
2. Where do I get forms to file a Small Claims Action?
3. What information must I have to file a Small Claims Action? What happens on the day I come in to start my case?
4. How do I obtain service on a small claims Summons and Complaint?
5. How far in advance of my court date must the defendant be served?
6. What happens if the defendant cannot be personally served?
7. What judge will hear my case?
8. Must the defendant appear for the court date?
9. What happens if the plaintiff doesn't appear on the court date?
10. What will happen at court?
11. How do I get a trial before the Circuit Court Judge?
12. What must be included in the "Demand for Trial" form?
13. I have a tenant I want to evict. How do I do this?
14. What is a judgment?
15. How do I obtain a judgment in small claims?
16. How do I enforce a judgment?