How can I obtain Birth and Marriage Certificates for the REAL ID?

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security extended the REAL ID deadline to May 3, 2023; to learn more about REAL ID requirements and use, visit: To make your Wisconsin Driver’s License a REAL ID, the Department of Transportation requires certified copies of birth certificates and, if needed, marriage licenses. These can be obtained at any Register of Deeds office. You can also receive these via mail by ordering online at (Both options are for births and marriages that occurred in Wisconsin only.) 

Walworth County Register of Deeds accepts in-person requests from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and requires at least one form of valid identification which contains your current name. PLEASE NOTE:  Requests can take 15-20 minutes to complete, and may take longer as only one person is allowed in the office at a time. You can expedite this process by calling ahead and letting the office know you are coming and what you will need. The number is 262-741-4233.  When you arrive, let staff know you called ahead.

Show All Answers

1. How can I obtain Birth and Marriage Certificates for the REAL ID?
2. What help can the Register of Deeds office provide for drafting real estate documents?
3. I have been told I need to get a legal description of my property. Where may I obtain one?
4. I paid off a Federal Income Tax Lien, but it still appears on my credit report. Why?
5. We recently paid off the mortgage on our home. When will we get a new deed showing that we no longer owe the bank anything?
6. I am considering purchasing a parcel of real estate. How can I find out what liens, if any, have been filed against it?
7. Can I do my own title search?
8. Can the Register of Deeds tell me if I have clear title?
9. How do I change my deed so that it reflects my married name?
10. If one trustee of a trust dies, is it necessary to take any immediate action?
11. If I purchase property that is from a larger parcel that is being split, will I receive a tax bill?