How do I find out what zoning district my property is zoned?

There are several options to choose from:

  • Visit our website and utilize the Interactive Mapping System.
  • A code enforcement officer may be able to assist you over the phone if enough property information is provided. At a minimum, the tax key number is required.
  • Come into the office and look on the aerial maps. They have the zoning and shoreland marked on them.
  • Make an appointment with a code enforcement officer.
  • If you need the zoning in writing, there is a form to be completed and a $50 fee charged.

To learn how to find your zoning, click here

Zoning Districts

If your property is within the County's zoning jurisdiction, it has been designated by a particular zoning district. Each district outlines the zoning requirements (example: Permitted uses, conditional uses, setback requirements, lot area and width requirements, etc.) that are applicable to each zoning district. There are 31 different zoning districts in Walworth County ranging from:

  • Agricultural
  • Business
  • Conservation
  • Industrial
  • Park
  • Residential

You will need to have the tax key number of the property to determine the location of the property thereby determining the zoning district designation.

To learn what the different zoning districts mean, click here


Maps are available in our office to assist in determining the zoning classification on your property. Call our office 262-741-4972 for assistance.

Show All Answers

1. What Ordinances do Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management regulate?
2. When is a Zoning Permit required?
3. What if I am only replacing what is there, do I still need a zoning permit?
4. What is the process for applying for a zoning permit?
5. Is a zoning permit required for a fence?
6. Do I need a permit from the Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management Department for my construction, land disturbance or vegetation removal project?
7. Why does the County require an inspection or an updated survey be submitted even though the Building Inspector inspects the construction?
8. How do I find out what zoning district my property is zoned?
9. What areas are in the County’s zoning jurisdiction?
10. What Walworth County permits will I need to construct a single family residence?
11. When is the Zoning office open?
12. Do I need an appointment to apply for a permit?
13. Where is the Land Use and Resource Management Department located?
14. Where can I obtain my tax key number?
15. Where can I find the legal description of my property?
16. Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?
17. Can I store unlicensed and/or inoperable vehicles on my property?
18. Do I need approval to operate a home occupation from my residential property?
19. Is more than one dwelling unit allowed on a property?
20. Can I have an in-law unit or a guest house on my property?
21. Can I have a mobile home on my property?
22. Does the County issue permits for piers and other structures placed on the bed of a water body?
23. Can I have a boathouse on my property?
24. How many accessory structures can I have on my property?
25. I have a vacant piece of land. Can I construct an accessory structure, without a residence, on the parcel?
26. Can I have horses on my property?
27. What if I have a sub-standard lot or structure?
28. What if I have a legal non-conforming structure?
29. Who do I contact for regulations governing land divisions (subdivisions and certified survey maps)?
30. I want to build a pond. Do I need a County Permit?