What is the process for applying for a zoning permit?

A zoning permit application form must be completely filled out and a plat of survey (prepared by a registered land surveyor showing all existing and proposed structures) shall be attached to the permit application, including the required fee (Zoning Fees (PDF)). Any construction started without permit approval will be charged a double fee. Additional supporting materials may be required for certain projects such as building plans, grading plans, existing and proposed contours, etc. Zoning permits are valid for two years. 

If your zoning permit is denied, the applicant has 30 days to appeal the denial to the Walworth County Board of Adjustment (Variance Application (PDF)). Depending on the request, additional reviews of the proposed project may be required by the:

Permit Process Outline

  1. Apply for Zoning Permit and any other applicable County Permit (i.e, Erosion Control Permit, Sanitary Permits, Address Request).
  2. The Code Enforcement Officer reviews the permit.
  3. The permit is either issued or denied.
    1.  If the permit is issued, the property owner must obtain a Building Permit through the appropriate Township Building Inspector.
    2. If the permit is denied, the owner may either amend their plan to meet with the Ordinance provisions and submit the new plan for reconsideration; or apply for a variance.
  4. Construction may commence.
  5. The Zoning Permit will require one of the following:
    1. An updated plat of survey within 30 days of backfilling the foundation.
    2. An inspection of the project upon backfilling or the submittal of a waiver form.
  6. It is important to read the permit card and comply with any condition of approval. Please remember; it is ultimately the property owner's responsibility to comply with any conditions of the permit as issued!
  7. Submit the required survey, waiver, or call 262-741-4972 for an inspection.

Show All Answers

1. What Ordinances do Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management regulate?
2. When is a Zoning Permit required?
3. What if I am only replacing what is there, do I still need a zoning permit?
4. What is the process for applying for a zoning permit?
5. Is a zoning permit required for a fence?
6. Do I need a permit from the Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management Department for my construction, land disturbance or vegetation removal project?
7. Why does the County require an inspection or an updated survey be submitted even though the Building Inspector inspects the construction?
8. How do I find out what zoning district my property is zoned?
9. What areas are in the County’s zoning jurisdiction?
10. What Walworth County permits will I need to construct a single family residence?
11. When is the Zoning office open?
12. Do I need an appointment to apply for a permit?
13. Where is the Land Use and Resource Management Department located?
14. Where can I obtain my tax key number?
15. Where can I find the legal description of my property?
16. Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?
17. Can I store unlicensed and/or inoperable vehicles on my property?
18. Do I need approval to operate a home occupation from my residential property?
19. Is more than one dwelling unit allowed on a property?
20. Can I have an in-law unit or a guest house on my property?
21. Can I have a mobile home on my property?
22. Does the County issue permits for piers and other structures placed on the bed of a water body?
23. Can I have a boathouse on my property?
24. How many accessory structures can I have on my property?
25. I have a vacant piece of land. Can I construct an accessory structure, without a residence, on the parcel?
26. Can I have horses on my property?
27. What if I have a sub-standard lot or structure?
28. What if I have a legal non-conforming structure?
29. Who do I contact for regulations governing land divisions (subdivisions and certified survey maps)?
30. I want to build a pond. Do I need a County Permit?