I want to build a pond. Do I need a County Permit?

Yes, a County Zoning Permit and a County-approved Land Disturbance and Erosion Control Plan and Permit are required for any pond construction project in Walworth County. Pond construction must meet County Conservation Standards and County Zoning Standards. 

County Pond Standards specifically restrict the construction of location and dimension of ponds in wetlands. If a pond is permitted in a wetland, it can not impair the functional values of the existing wetland. Only shallow wildlife ponds can be constructed in wetlands. Other standards apply for any pond construction in wetlands.

A permit or plan approval must also be obtained by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources for pond construction connected to or near other bodies of water or in wetlands. 

Show All Answers

1. I think I have Gypsy Moths. What should I do?
2. What trees do gypsy moths prefer to feed on?
3. I want to build a pond. Do I need a County Permit?