Substitute Training Program - 3 Year License
In order to be eligible for a 3-year, short-term substitute teacher license, candidates must complete a Substitute Teacher Training Program. Lakeland School will offer this training for new substitutes interested in working at Lakeland, if the candidate has not already completed a Department of Public Instruction (DPI) approved substitute training program. Candidates should contact Michelle Bennett at 262-741-4118, to arrange a day to fulfill the substitute training requirements.
During the training day, candidates will:
- Meet with an administrator to review basic school policies and procedures, including confidentiality issues, which are contained in the Lakeland School Employee Handbook (PDF)
- Meet with the School Nurse to review health and safety issues, including handling medical emergencies
- Observe instruction in the Early Learning through Adult Learning classrooms in order to gain an understanding of:
- Age-appropriate teaching strategies used at Lakeland
- Discipline, conflict resolution, and classroom management techniques
- Techniques for starting a class and following a lesson plan
- Other techniques/strategies for working with children with disabilities and gaining an understanding of school culture and the teaching profession
After the candidate successfully completes the training activities, Lakeland School's Administrator will sign the Substitute Teacher Training Verification Form PI-1633 (PDF), which the candidate will need in order to apply for a substitute license.
Applying for the License
To apply for a Three-Year Short-Term Substitute license:
- Applicant must hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university. Submit original transcripts with the application.
- Applicant must submit evidence that they have successfully completed the district-selected substitute training. The following are acceptable forms of documentation:
- Confirmation letter of successful completion, on district letterhead, including date of completion, signed by an authorized Administrator
- Certificate of completion from a DPI approved substitute training program, including date of completion
- PI-1633 Substitute Teacher Training Verification Form (PDF)
- All information about this type of license can be found at the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
- View a checklist for applying for the Three-Year substitute license (PDF).