Healthy Homes

Where we live, play, and work can have a greater impact on how long and well we live than medical care. Click on the tabs below to learn more about common concerns that can help you live a healthier life.

  1. Landlord & Tenant
  2. Mold
  3. Radon
  4. Human Health Hazards

Landlord / Tenant

Many Walworth County residents live in rental housing. It is important that both tenants and landlords that rules ensure that these rental transactions are conducted fairly.

Resolving Conflict

  • Step 1: First contact your landlord in writing and describe the condition you are concerned about. Document the condition in detail, including photos, date, time, whom you notified, and when. You can also include a solution with a specific amount of time to correct the problem. Sign, date, and make a copy of the letter. Send it certified mail with a return receipt.
  • Step 2: If the concerns are not resolved, you can contact your local building inspector and describe the conditions. Local building inspectors, who are familiar with local building codes can often investigate building code violations.

If No Resolution

If a problem has been verified and the landlord fails to correct it, you may file a complaint with the Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP) Hotline at 800-422-7128 or

More Information

DATCP Landlord/Tenant Guide 

WI Department of Health Services 

File a Complaint

To file a complaint about a health hazard, email Public Health or call at 262-741-3200. If you would like your complaint to remain anonymous, you must indicate that in your email. Please include the following information in your email:
(Items marked with an asterisk are required)

  • Any Additional Comments
  • Approximate Time Incident Occurred
  • City/Town/Village*
  • Date of Incident*
  • Description of What Happened*
  • Owner of Human Health Hazard Name*
  • Street Address of Health Hazard*
  • Whether or not this is an anonymous complaint*
  • Your name*