Solid Waste & Recycling
In Wisconsin you cannot put many recyclable or compostable items in the trash. Wisconsin's recycling law bans the landfilling or incineration of these materials to conserve valuable resources and landfill space. These disposal bans apply everywhere in Wisconsin, including:
- At Special Events
Businesses are required to recycle under the same landfill ban as households. Recyclables must be collected separately from trash. Recycling containers must be available in the building, and building owners must provide recycling carts or dumpsters outdoors for collection by a hauler.
View a list of items that are banned from our landfills and incinerators statewide (PDF); and should be reused, recycled or composted.
Clean Sweep Program Sponsors, Supporters & Contributors
Clean Sweep is sponsored by the Walworth County Public Works Department and funded in part by the Town of Darien, Mallard Ridge Landfill Fund and a Grant from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
Our Public Works department would like to acknowledge the following local supporters for their donations of funding and providing personnel for the 2019 Walworth County Clean Sweep Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Event:
- City of Delavan Public Works Department
- City of Whitewater Public Works Department
- Jefferson County Public Works Department
- Walworth County Metropolitan Sewage District (WalCoMet)
- Advanced Disposal Services
- Lauderdale Lakes Improvement Association
- Delavan Lake Sanitary District
- Keizer & Sons Disposal Inc.
- Lake Como Lake Committee
- Lake Wandawega Improvement Association
- Ted Peters
- Village of Walworth
- Walworth County Lakes Association
- Lake Lorraine Restoration and Protection Association Inc.
- Pats Services, Inc.
- Mercy Health
Clean Sweep Program Mailing List
Clean Sweep is advertised in local newspapers 3 to 4 weeks before the program is held. Should you wish to receive direct notification either by mail or email, please contact us and we will add you to our mailing/emailing lists.
Public Works Committee
The Public Works Committee is the County Board liaison committee for the Solid Waste Division.