- Register in Probate
Register in Probate
The Register in Probate assists in all estate proceedings. It is the duty of the Register in Probate to maintain all papers properly filed, keep a court record of every proceeding and review all court documents for approval. The court record is a complete index or brief history of each proceeding from the beginning to final disposition. The Register in Probate records all documents and proceedings of the court and keeps a record, in full, of all wills, admitted to probate and those filed for safekeeping, as well as all letters issued and all judgments rendered.
Proceedings administered by the Probate Office also include guardianship of minor and incompetents and the accounting thereof, and the supervision of monies invested for trusts and minor guardianships.
The Probate Registrar handles the administration of all informal probate proceedings. The Probate Registrar advises as to the preparation of documents, but may not give legal advice to the personal representative.
- What is Probate?
- I have an original will of a relative who just passed away. There are no assets that require probate. What do I do with the original will?
- What is the filing fee for probate?
- What is the difference between being named a personal representative or an executor?
- How do I search genealogy records?
- What is the cost for doing a probate search?
- What is the cost for obtaining a certified copy of a document?
- How much do you charge for copies?
- Do you give hearing dates out for probate/guardianship pleadings before they are filed?
- How do I file a claim?
- I have a relative who died owning less than $50,000 in solely owned property, do I need to file a probate?
- I have been appointed personal representative/executor for the estate of my uncle, who was an Illinois resident. My uncle owned a piece of real estate in Walworth County. What do I need to do?
- Do I need an attorney to go through probate?
- Does all of the decedent's property go through probate?
- Is a personal representative paid for his job?
- Can I get informal forms on the internet?
- How do I go about collecting proceeds from a life insurance policy from the decedent?
- I had power of attorney for my loved one who just passed away. Can I still manage his/her affairs?
- How do I transfer a motor vehicle?
- Who are the heirs?
- When are the annual reports for guardians and trustees due?
- I lost my annual report form. Can I get a new one?
- I am a co-guardian/co-trustee. Do both guardians/trustees need to sign the annual report?
- Do I need to show the Court proof of assets listed on page 3 of the accounting?
- Do I need to send a copy of my annual report to Walworth County Human Services?