Apply for a Passport Book or Passport Card

You can come to the Walworth County Clerk of Circuit Court Office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m, Monday through Friday.

If you are applying for a first time passport or are unable to locate a prior passport, you will need to complete a current DS-11 form. We provide this form at no charge to individuals (large groups or organizations, with the exception of schools, must purchase the forms directly from the Passport Agency). If you download a form online, it must be a good quality copy in order for us to accept it. The form is to be completed in black ink.

You may fill out the application at the Clerk of Courts Office or take it with you.


You must have the following when applying:

  • You must have a completed application (unsigned).
  • Bring one passport photo (this can be obtained from any photo studio).
  • One certified copy of your birth certificate which has been registered with the state in which you were born (this need to be submitted with the application but will be returned, hospital copies are not acceptable) or a previous passport in lieu of a birth certificate. When a previous passport is submitted with a child’s application, a certified copy of their birth certificate must also accompany the application. This is to establish a clear relationship to the parent. Naturalized U.S. citizens must submit the original signed naturalization certificate in lieu of a birth certificate. This will be returned with the passport. Your passport book or card and proof of birth will be returned in separate envelopes from the passport agency.
  • Your driver’s license or state identification with a photo for identification. All applicants must appear in person. We will use the parent’s driver’s license for identification of anyone 17 or younger. Both parents or legal guardian(s) must be present when applying for a passport for a child under 16. If only one parent/guardian appears you must also submit one of the following: Second parent’s/guardian’s notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child, Primary evidence of sole authority to apply, or a written statement, form DS-3053 (made under penalty of perjury) explaining the second parent’s unavailability. A copy of your driver’s license or photo identification will be submitted with the application.

If you have all the necessary information and your application is completed correctly, the time necessary for us to process it should be 15 minutes or less.


Passport applications need two forms of payment:

  • A check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State
    • Standard Application for Adults (Age 16 and over)
      • Passport Book: $130 
      • Passport Card: $30
    • Standard Application for Children (Under 16)
      • Passport Book: $100 
      • Passport Card: $15
    • Fee to Expedite Application Additional Per Person
      • Passport Book: $60 
      • Passport Card: $60
    • Overnight Delivery Service: $18.32
  • Cash, Credit Card, Check or Money Order Payable to Clerk of Courts, for Each Application: $35

Expedited Passports

The normal processing time is 10 to 12 weeks. If you will be departing in less than 10 to 12 weeks, you may expedite your application. It is not recommended to expedite unless necessary. There is an additional fee of $60 per applicant to expedite, regardless of the age of the applicant. If you will be leaving in less than a month, you may want to overnight the application.

You can expect to receive an expedited passport back in approximately 4 to 6 weeks depending on how it is sent. The Passport Agency does require 3 business days for processing of expedited applications. You may want to check for current processing times.


If you had a previous passport, you can renew it, if you meet the following criteria:

  • The issue date of your last passport was less than 15 years ago
  • You were 16 or older when it was issued
  • Your name is the same or you can submit name-change documentation (marriage certificate or court order)
  • You can submit this passport
  • It is undamaged

The Clerk of Circuit Court does not process renewal applications. You can obtain a renewal form (DS-82) from us and submit it yourself to the nearest Passport Agency listed on the back of the form with the proper fee, a new photo and your expired or to be expired passport. You can also expedite renewal forms for an additional $60 fee. Children cannot have their passports renewed unless they were over 16 when their previous passport was issued and they meet the criteria. Renewal forms and instructions are available online.

Appointment System in Chicago

If you have an overseas emergency or extremely urgent travel scheduled, you may be required to apply in person for a will-call service. The Chicago Agency is one of a number of Passport Agencies that has installed an appointment system to improve customer service. The Chicago Agency is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday (excluding Federal holidays). Customers can call 877-487-2778, 24 hours a day to schedule an appointment.

Immigration & Naturalization Service

If you have any questions relating to immigration matters, please refer to the INS Service Center at 800-375-5283. INS operators are available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m, Monday through Friday. Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also visit the INS website.

Misspelled Names

Misspelled names and wrong dates or places of birth can occur due to the large volume of passports that are processed. If you do not have urgent travel plans, you can simply mail the passport back to:
New Orleans Passport Agency
Attention: Rewrite
One Canal Place
365 Canal Street
Suite 1300
New Orleans, LA 70130-6508

Include a note explaining the error, and the Passport Agency will re-issue the passport at no charge to you. If you have imminent travel planned, please return to the acceptance agency and advise them to call the Passport Agency to discuss options that will best meet your needs.

Obtaining Copies of Birth Records

The Passport Agency will only accept a certified copy of your birth certificate that is registered with the Register of Deed/Bureau of Vital Statistics in the County in which you were born, or with the State in which you were born. You can order a copy by phone with a credit card from most states. For information, call 800-255-2414. To order online, visit the Vital Records Website.

Passport & Travel Information

To view the status of your passport application and other travel information visit the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, which includes Passport Services. If you need to inquire about the issuance of your passport, the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) can assist you. You may speak with a Customer Service Representative by contacting:

  • Phone: 877-487-2778
  • TTY/TDD Users: 888-874-7793
  • Email NPIC

Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday (excluding Federal holidays). All services are available in English and Spanish.