Sheriff's Office (SH)

SH Home Page     Contact Us

(262) 741-4400   Emergency 911  

Frequently Asked Questions

| Employment | Corrections | Records | Range Facility |


        How do I apply for a job with the Sheriff's Office?
All matters regarding employment with the Sheriff's Office are handled by the Walworth County Human Resources Department.
You may contact them directly at:

Walworth County Human Resources Department
Government Center
P.O. Box 1001
Elkhorn, WI  53121
(262) 741-

            All Walworth County Job Openings are posted on their web site.  
            To See Current Openings, Click Here.


Corrections Section

        Can inmates have visitors?
Yes, inmates are allowed 3 visits per week.  The schedule for visitation with inmates in the Jail Section is as follows:

  Tuesday - Thursday Saturday & Sunday
Jail Section
9:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
7:00 p.m. -   9:00 p.m.
3:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Huber Section
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
7:00 p.m. -   9:00 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
7:00 p.m. -   9:00 p.m.

There is no visitation on Mondays or Fridays.  Visitors must be 18 years of age.  Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Also required is a copy of a valid birth certificate listing birth parents. If guardianship has been ordered proof of this must also be provided. All visitors must show proper photo ID.

Inmates are allowed 2 visits during the week and 1 visit on the weekend, for a total of 3 visits per week.

  Can inmates receive mail?
Yes, mail can be sent in care of the inmate to:

        Walworth County Jail
        Inmates Name/ID Number
        1770 County Road NN
        Elkhorn, WI  53121

Any newspapers, magazines, or catalogs must be sent to the same address directly from the publisher.  No packages and/or 2nd, 3rd, or 4th class mail is accepted.  For example:  book clubs, cd/tape clubs.

Can inmates receive books?
Yes, books received directly from the publisher or pre-approved booksellers will be accepted for delivery to inmates.

            How do Jail incarcerated inmates receive money?
PLEASE NOTEEffective January 1, 2012 at approximately 6:00 PM, family and friends of inmates housed at the Walworth County Jail/Huber will be able to deposit cash money into inmate commissary accounts utilizing the new Cash Acceptor located in the lobby of the Walworth County Sheriff's Office.  Click here for more info.

The Cobra Cashier fees are posted in County Ordinance 695-11/11.  Beginning January 1, 2012, fees will be as follows:

Fees on deposits made using the Cobra Cashier are $3.25 for a cash deposit up to $500.  An additional $3.25 will be charged for each additional deposit up to $500 deposit.  Fees on credit/debit deposits are $4.95 for a deposit up to $100.  An additional $4.95 will be charged for each additional deposit up to $100. 

Cash/Money Order deposits sent in through the mail will also be subject to the $3.25 fee up to $500. 

 There will also be options available for deposits on-line and over the phone using or 1-888-277-2535.  Fees for those deposits are as follows:  4.5% of total (minimum $4.50) / internet transaction; 6.0% of total (minimum $6.00) / phone transaction.  $25.00 minimum deposit per transaction, $100.00 maximum deposit per transaction.  $200.00 combined maximum deposit per week.  Maximum of 5 transactions per week.

            Do inmates have television available to them?
Yes, provided they conduct themselves properly and are not unruly.  

            Are religious services available?
Yes, services are conducted live each Sunday and broadcast throughout the facility on closed circuit television.  In addition, clergy may visit inmates during Professional Visit times.

            Do inmates have access to any type of educational programs?
Yes, a G.E.D. program is offered in the facility through Gateway Technical College.  A certified instructor is on staff and meets with inmates that qualify for the program.
There are also AA, AODA, and Alternatives to Violence programs available for inmates.

            How do I become a Correctional Officer?
All matters regarding employment with the Sheriff's Office are handled by the Walworth County Human Resources Department.
You may contact them directly at:

Walworth County Human Resources Department
County Annex Building West
P.O. Box 1001
Elkhorn, WI  53121
(262) 741-3400

            All Walworth County Job Openings are posted on their web site.  
            Click here to go to their site.

        What training is involved in becoming a Correctional Officer?
Once hired, new officers receive a 14-week CTO (Correctional Training Officer) Program before being assigned to a shift and allowed to work independently.  During the first year, each officer must become state certified which requires 120 hours of state mandated schooling/training.  Annually, all Correctional Officers must accrue 24 hours of in-service training to keep current in new standards and procedures.

        What hours do Correctional Officers work?
Officers are assigned to 8 hour shifts.  There are 3 shifts each day.
1st shift is 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
2nd shift is 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
3rd shift is 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
The schedule rotates.  An officer 2 weeks of 5 days on & 2 days off.
The 3rd week, the schedule is for 6 days on & 3 days off.

        What is Direct Supervision?
One Correctional Officer works in a housing unit supervising the daily activities of about 48 inmates.  The officers are in direct contact with the inmates at all times.

        What is the inmate capacity at the jail?
The jail (including the Huber/work release facility and the jail itself) has a capacity of 512 beds.  The facility houses both male and female inmates in separate housing units, under Direct Supervision.  It requires a minimum of 15 Correctional Officers to operate the facility on each shift.


Records Section

I had a minor accident (no property damage other than my own vehicle) or I struck a deer yesterday.  Now my insurance company needs a report of some sort.  What do I do?
You may pick up a blank report from the Sheriff's Office or any Police Department and follow the directions for filling it out.  Then you must file it with the State of Wisconsin.

I had an accident and the Sheriff's Office was there.  How do I get a copy of their Accident Report?
You may pick up a copy of the report in person at the Sheriff's Office or it can be mailed or faxed to you.  There is a processing fee of $3.00.  Please allow 4 days for the report to be completed.  If you are planning to come to pick up a report in person, you may want to call ahead to ensure that the report is complete.

Click on the following links to obtain these forms:

Open Records Request Form

Request for Photographs Form

How do I get fingerprinted?

Following are the hours set for fingerprinting members of the public.  If you are unable to make these times, please call 262-741-4540 and ask for a Jail Supervisor to make other arrangements.  Please note you must bring your own fingerprint cards to the Sheriff's Office.  You may obtain the cards from the agency requiring the fingerprints.

Monday and Friday        9 AM to 11 AM

Saturday and Sunday    8 AM to 11 AM


Range Training Facility

Who can use the Sheriff's Office shooting range?

The Sheriff's Office Range Training Facility is located on Hodges Road in Lafayette Township.  It is a county-owned facility and as such is regulated by policy.  This facility is not open for public use and exists to train law enforcement agencies at the local, state, and federal levels.  In addition, the range is also used by the DNR and the NRA to provide educational courses.  The Elkhorn Pistol Club also uses the facility and membership in this club is required.  Trespassing is strictly enforced and violators will be fined and/or arrested.  Please contact the Sheriff's Office at 262-741-4680 with any further questions.





| Employment | Corrections | Records | Range Facility |


Walworth County's Most Wanted

Jail/Huber/Electronic Monitoring Information


A Memorial

Tour the Sheriff's Office


Annual Report

Related Links

Civil Process

Press Releases - Notifications

WI-VINE Service

The WI Statewide VINE system is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of their offender.  The VINE toll-free number is 888-868-4631.

Crime Stoppers anonymous tips


Acceptable Use Policy     Privacy Policy

100 W Walworth, Elkhorn, WI 53121
© 2010 Walworth County Government.