Dept of Health & Human Services (DHHS)

DHHS Home Page     Contact Us      Discrimination Statement

Frequent Questions

What kinds of assistance are provided?
Long Term Care programs offer information about and provide funding for housekeeping, laundry, shopping and other household chores. These programs also offer personal care services such as assistance with bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living. Long Term Care programs offer funding for adult day care, emergency response systems such as Lifeline, and home health care. They also offer funding for case management, transportation, residential services, adaptive aids and many other services.

Who can apply?
An adult 18 ears and older may apply who is a resident of Walworth County and who has a long term or irreversible illness or disability which substantially impairs his or her ability to function independently. Information and assessment services are available to all adults without charge. Financial assistance is provided to persons who meet eligibility criteria, which are based on income, assets, and level of need. 

How to apply
Persons may refer themselves for Long Term Care services or have a family member make the referral for them.

Certain information is needed to apply for services. Information such as adult’s name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, Medicaid number (if any), the name of their physician, their income and assets, their medical diagnosis, information about their ability to care for themselves at home, etc.

To talk with ADRC staff about applying for Long Term Care services, call (262) 741-3400,  toll free (800) 365-1587.

Who decides what services will be provided?
Decisions about what Long Term Care services will be provided are jointly made by the customer (the person who will receive the services) and the Long Term Care program staff. At the customer's request, family members or other individuals can be included in the planning and decision-making.

Are there waiting lists for Long Term Care services?
Persons may apply for Long Term Care services at any time, however some programs may have waiting lists.

When a waiting list is in effect an assessment is still offered to individuals who want to apply. An assessment is necessary and the person must be eligible for the Long Term Care program, for the person to be placed on a waiting list.

Although the person may be placed on a waiting list, Long Term Care staff may be able to offer information about other helpful resources. Staff can also make referrals to other county, community and government resources. 

How do I make a referral for Long Term Care programs?
To make a referral for Long Term Care programs, call (262) 741-3400 or toll free (800) 365-1587 and say that you want to make a referral for Long Term Care services.



Crisis Services

Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

Mental Health Services

Alcohol/Drug Issues

Mental Health Recovery Services

Child/Family Services

Child Support

Public Health

Economic Support

Developmental Disabilities

Trauma Informed Care

Volunteer Services

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Document names followed by this symbol are viewed using Acrobat Reader. For a free download of Acrobat Reader click the icon above.


Acceptable Use Policy     Privacy Policy

100 W Walworth, Elkhorn, WI 53121
© 2010 Walworth County Government.