Dept of Health & Human Services (DHHS)

DHHS Home Page     Contact Us      Discrimination Statement

About ADRC

ADRC Mission Statement

Walworth County is committed to serving adults and their families with issues of aging and disability. We will provide information, assistance, and education to promote independence and improve quality of life, while offering choices to the consumer. Our goal is to affirm the rights, dignity, and value of individuals served while limiting risk to those most vulnerable.



What is an ADRC?


Aging and Disability Resource Centers, or ADRCs, offer the general public a single entry point for information and assistance on issues affecting older adults, and adults with disabilities regardless of their income. ADRCs are a welcoming and convenient place for you and your family to get information, assitance and access to a wide variety of services. Services can be provided through the telephone, in the resource center, or in your own home.


What kind of services can I get from an ADRC?


The types of services that an ADRC has to offer include:  information and assistance, long-term care options counseling, benefits counseling, prevention and early intervention, and access to publicly funded long-term care programs such as Family Care, and IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct).


What is Information and Assistance?


ADRC specialists in the ADRC provide you with information about services, resources, and programs in areas such as disability and long-term care, living arrangements, health, adult protective services, employment and training for people with disabilities, home maintenance, nutrition and publicly funded programs. ADRC Specialists can help to connect you with services and can help you apply for various programs such as FoodShare, and Medicaid as needed. You can call the resource center about a wide variety of topics from home care to hospice services, from legal issues to Alzheimer’s care, from job help to education.


What is Long-Term Care Options Counseling?


ADRC Specialists offer information about the options that are available to meet your long-term care needs. ADRC Specialists discuss factors to consider when making long-term care decisions. ADRCs provide this service to the general public and individuals with long-term care needs who are entering nursing homes and assisted living facilities. The ADRC Specialist provides objective information to help you plan your own care and consider how to best spend your personal resources.


What is Benefits Counseling?


An elderly or disability benefit specialist can provide you with accurate and current information about private and government benefits and programs that you may be entitled to. They help to sort through the maze of benefits, the varying eligibility requirements and application processes. Benefit specialist can also help when people run into problems with Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and other benefits. An elder benefit specialist is available to assist older adults and a disability benefit specialist is available to assist adults with a physical, intellectual, or mental health disability.


What if I have an emergency related to my long-term care needs or services?


Emergency response is another service of the ADRC. If you call the ADRC with a health related emergency, the resource center is there to help connect you with someone who will respond to your urgent situation. For example, if someone experienced a sudden loss of a caregiver, they may need emergency help to keep them safe. The ADRC can help connect you with resources immediately.  For any medical emergency, you should contact your primary physician or call 911.


Can I learn about ways to maintain my health and wellness from and ADRC?


The ADRC promotes effective prevention to keep you healthy and independent.  In collaboration with public and private health and social service partners in the community, the ADRC offers both information and intervention activities that focus on reducing the risk of disability  For example, the ADRC can talk to you about ways to improve your nutrition or reduce risk of chronic disease. They can help you think about home safety to prevent falls, or consider appropriate fitness programs for older people or people with disabilities.


Can I enroll in a publicly funded long-term care program through the ADRC?


Yes. In fact, ADRCs are the “entry-way” to publicly funded long-term care programs.  The resource center would first help assess your level of need for services and determine if you are eligible. The ADRC provides information about all the options available to you and will assure you are fully infomred in order to select the best option to meet your needs. If you are eligible and choose to enroll in a long-term care program, the ADRC will enroll you.


Additional Resources


For more information about Aging & Disability Resource Centers, please visit



Crisis Services

Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

Mental Health Services

Alcohol/Drug Issues

Mental Health Recovery Services

Child/Family Services

Child Support

Public Health

Economic Support

Developmental Disabilities

Trauma Informed Care

Volunteer Services

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Document names followed by this symbol are viewed using Acrobat Reader. For a free download of Acrobat Reader click the icon above.


Acceptable Use Policy     Privacy Policy

100 W Walworth, Elkhorn, WI 53121
© 2010 Walworth County Government.